Thursday, March 26, 2009

Best advice I ever got

When I was a young student athlete, I was given advice on everything from what to eat, how to workout to gain a competitive advantage, what coaches are looking for at the next level, etc. All great information however most was forgotten just after it swept through my ears. However, there is a single piece of advice that has remained with me to this day and I would like to pass it on to you. This golden nugget of information is so impacting that I use it in other aspects of my life...even to this day. Are you ready...?

I will never forget who gave this information to me and where I was when I received it. I will reserve the entire story for another time. The advice came from Coach Beetle Bailey in 1988. Coach Bailey was the hitting coach for LSU at the time. I'm not sure that I can recount his resume accurately but just know that during his tenure, LSU won 5 National Championships in 10 years. Not only was he a great baseball coach with teams and players succeeding as a result of his influence but his personal accomplishments seemed even bigger. So none-the-less when Coach Bailey spoke people listened.

As I lay out the advice to you, I will attempt to use the exact words from Coach Bailey.

Advice: At some point today, tomorrow, next week, next year, someone will give you some information that will change your life. It will make you a better student, a better athlete/baseball player, a better son/daughter/father/mother/friend, a better human being. Will you be listening...

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome!! When I saw you had a blog, I was so excited. As I coach my kids' soccer teams and swim team during summer, I realize how much I LOVE it. I can tell you do, too. I will always remember as a young athelete the amazing catches, fastest swims, and the roar of the crowds at some of the things I did. I love helping kids have those memories! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I've picked up after being around the game of baseball for a number of years (both on and off the field):

    First, "It's not how you perform, but rather how you react to your performance." You never know who will be in the stands. Coaches and scouts will forget a strike-out, but they never forget poor sportmanship or bad attitude. You only get one chance to make a first impression, make it good!

    Secondly, Rick Jones (head baseball coach at Tunlane University) has a saying, "Dare to be Different". It's easy to jog to 1st on a routine fly ball, who is going to be standing on second when the ball is caught? It's easy to walk back to the dugout after lining out to the pitcher, who is going to sprint through first base regardless of being out before leaving the batter's box? The kid that does the latter, is the one I want wearing my team's jersey.

    Third, instill RESPECT! Respect for the game, coaches, umpires, opponents, teammates and most importantly yourself. Playing the game is a privilage, treat it as such. Many would love to play the game of baseball, few get the opportunity or have the necessary skill set. Take advantage of the opportunity, it may be taken away tomorrow.

    Thanks for providing this forum Michael.

    Gregg Dickerson

    ReplyDelete